Edward J. McManus, MD, FACP
Edward McManus, MD, FACP, is an infectious disease specialist and a founder of ID Care. As a managing partner from the group’s inception, his vision has been vital in guiding the growth and breadth of services we provide. He was among the first physicians in our community to recognize clinicians needed to move out of the hospital and provide care in post-acute settings such as nursing homes and rehabilitation centers. He also identified the critical role that infectious disease clinicians have in wound care and need to be leaders in that field in our community. He spearheaded our Nurse Practitioner program to expand the care we can provide to our patients. Dr. McManus has also served on numerous committees and boards at our local Hospitals. From 2010 to 2015, he served as the chairman of the Board of Trustees at Saint Clare’s Hospital and has continued working with several hospital leadership groups to improve community access to healthcare.
Dr. McManus enjoys the problem-solving aspect of infectious disease and medicine — the opportunity to help colleagues and patients in a consultation is unique. The diverse nature of infectious disease brings new challenges every day. No other medical specialty crosses so many medical fields and repeatedly tests one’s knowledge and experience. Working together with a team and applying knowledge and experience to help consultants and patients is extremely satisfying.
“What I have learned from my mentors and my patients are captured in the following questions:
1. Have we carefully listened to the patient?
2. Have we asked the right questions?
3. Have we counseled the patient in terms that are readily understood?
4. Have we guided the patient’s expectations?
5. Have we anticipated the questions that have not been asked?”
Dr. McManus was first inspired to become a physician by his mother, who was a registered nurse after WWII and worked in Hell’s Kitchen in New York City in the 1950s. Her admiration for the dedicated doctors she worked with motivated him to become a doctor himself. His interest in the field of infectious diseases started 40 years ago while first attending medical school. During his first year, Dr. McManus worked on an experimental model of joint infections. He cared for some of the earliest patients with HIV and participated in their treatment with the first AIDS drug, AZT. Dr. McManus was an investigator for the combination of drugs that went on to become the first single-pill treatment for HIV, Atripla — and his interests expanded from there. During schooling and his career, Dr. McManus had his share of great mentors that inspired and guided him to reach where he is today. Now, Dr. McManus takes pride in mentoring physicians and nurse practitioners in the field of infectious disease.
Dr. McManus enjoys traveling with his family and playing golf in his free time.
- Saint Clare’s Hospital – Denville
- Saint Clare’s Hospital – Dover
- Morristown Medical Center
- Newton Medical Center
- Kindred Hospital – Morris County
- Hackettstown Regional Medical Center
- Chilton Medical Center
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Infectious Diseases Society of New Jersey
- Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- International Society of Travel Medicine
- Fellowship: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Chief Resident University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics
- Residency: University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
- Medical School: UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School
- Undergraduate: Johns Hopkins University
- Xavier High School NYC
- Clinical Assistant Professor at Rutgers – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Visiting Professor – Boston City Hospital
- Visiting Professor – University of Virginia Hospital
- Medical Director for Infection Control/Stewardship/Epidemiology – St. Clare’s Hospital, Atlantic Health System – Hackettstown & Kindred Dover
- Medical Staff Leadership -St. Clare’s – Medical Executive Committee
- Wound Center Leadership – Director/Associate Director – Dover Wound Center
- Castle Connolly America’s Top Doctors – 2022
- Graduated with Honors from Johns Hopkins University
- “Castle Connolly Guide to Top Doctors” in New York Metro area 1998–present
- AOA Honor Society – UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School
- “Top Doctor in NJ” by New Jersey Monthly magazine 2006–2019, 2021
- Apple Award by the New Jersey Institute for Nursing – 2009
- Physician Humanitarian Award by the Saint Clare’s Health System – 2011