Suja Mathai, MD
Suja Mathai, MD, is a double board-certified physician in both internal medicine and infectious disease. Her specialization in infectious disease care spans over 10 years, including diagnosis and treatment of patients across all viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections. Dr. Mathai is also a specialist in advanced wound care and Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). Her practice extends to many leading acute care hospitals, long-term care facilities, and rehabilitation centers, where she provides inpatient clinical care across many complex health conditions, including healthcare-acquired infections (HAIs). Her contributions have earned her a leadership role as Director of Infection Control at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Hamilton.
Dr. Mathai pursued her passion to become a physician after participating in a polio eradication program as part of an internship in her native India. She was fascinated by the societal impact of vaccinations and the ability to solve a complex medical challenge. Now, as a practicing infectious disease doctor, she continues to be motivated by each patient she sees, gathering all the relevant clues to solve their unique health mystery and the infection impacting that person. Each day, she takes satisfaction in seeing her patients’ clinical response when she effectively diagnoses and treats them.
Dr. Mathai is actively involved in her community church, volunteering her time and expertise providing counsel and medical assistance, as well as caring for small children in the church nursery. She also works with a non-profit to assist underprivileged children in India.
Outside of work, she can be found traveling to see natural wonders, including visiting all the North American national parks. She also likes to take time to scrapbook and hone her photography skills.
- St. Francis Medical Center – Trenton
- Robert Wood University Hospital – Hamilton
- Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell
- Capital Health – Fuld Campus
- Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center
- St. Lawrence Rehabilitation Center
- Morris Hall Meadows
- Clover Meadows Healthcare and Rehabilitation
- Hamilton Grove Healthcare and Rehabilitation
- Mercerville Center
- Hamilton Continuing Care Center
- Preferred Care at Hamilton Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Preferred Care at Mercer Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Spring Hills
- Water’s Edge Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- American College of Physicians
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Fellowship: Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark
- Residency: Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark
- Medical School: Sri Siddhartha Medical College, India
- Director of Infection Control – RWJ University Hospital Hamilton